2.13.2010

Allow me to introduce myself


pg 206 Thigh Muscles
Originally uploaded by

 perpetualplum
Here's the deal: I don't have pipe cleaner legs. I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. I've got big thighs. Recently a friend told me, "You've got a pretty big thigh there...It's as big as my head." I agreed but quietly thought to myself, "It is certainly larger."


In fact, my thighs are actually larger than my own head (yes, I've measured).


My issue is this: in the world of menswear, slim-fitting, tailored pants have become the global trend. I enjoy the looks but I can almost never wear them because they simply wouldn't fit on my body. Since I've started caring about how I dress myself, I've experienced problems fitting into cool stuff.


This blog will explain how I manage and hopefully help some of my larger brethren in the world look good and be comfortable in their threads. Cheers.

11 comments:

  1. I'm excited to have stumbled across your blog. I too am trying my best to improve my wardrobe after many years working in casual work environment... with big thighs and ass. I'm 6 foot 230lbs with big strong legs/butt from football, soccer and cycling. A few rules I've learned

    Pleats and cuffs rule
    Slim shoes, as slim as is practical, slim your lower-half out a bit
    Wear things that truly fit and your size/shape become secondary

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hemanth. I'll do my best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've joined your camp man- I have the same problem. I am excited about any positive tips you find

    Regards,
    TO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    i saw a comment about your blog on Free/Man
    Love the concept i also have thunder thighs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came across your blog thanks to RCS #ff. Look forward to reading it - you have a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks. Enjoy!
    Curious though: who/what is RCS?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, I have thighs bigger than my head myself. Let's see if I can learn something here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest, I can't remember where I came from, but I am *very* glad to have come across your blog. I too am a non-standard fit, at 6'4", 205, but with big arms, chest, quads, and calves, and a 33" waist. The sheer number of shirts I've had to return to Gilt Groupe because the arm holes aren't large enough is as annoying as it is astonishing.

    My solution to a lot of this is to 1) always check return policies, and 2) have a good tailor.

    Looking forward to more entries!
    - Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christopher,

    Thanks for stopping by. It's always good to hear from others in the same boat.

    Indeed, shirting featured on Gilt is usually cut for the slender gents.

    Your advice is sound. I'm looking forward to getting back into the swing of posting regularly.

    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just went through your entire archive and I def like everything! I also suffer from TBTYH syndrome, a little on the shorter side though, at 5'8", 180 lbs and 32" waist, with the requisite thighs/butt. I like nice & trim pants, but they're generally not an option! Glad to read the "adventures" of a fellow TBTYH ...

    I also seem to have problems with shirts since my neck is a tad too big for the medium size shirts that fit my shoulders pretty well. Not a problem if I'm wearing them casually, but I don't get to wear ties very often unless it's with a suit, where I can wear size large shirts that I hide with a well fitting suit jacket. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete